An excerpt from Christ Fellowship of Kansas City concerning Why do we meet in homes? CFKC is a network of four SBC house churches in the Kansas City area. There are six good reasons, according to Jim Elliff, why they have planted this relatively new congregation according to the house church model.
- The First Christians Met in Homes: The New Testament and early church history affirm that homes were the predominant setting for the gatherings of the church.
- A Natural Setting for Fellowship: We enjoy the home environment in that we find it to promote excellent Christian fellowship and mutual edification.
- A Wise Use of Resources: The best ways to use our financial resources are for benevolence, missions, and elder support, rather than building expenses.
- A Well-tended Flock: The church will be healthier when elders are not overburdened by an unmanageable number of people entrusted to them.
- A Proven Pattern for Expansion: The multiplication of home congregations can facilitate expansion while at the same time maintaining an ideal setting for fellowship.
- The Design for New Testament Instructions: We believe the instructions given to the church were designed for, and can be most consistently followed, in small assemblies.